Nothing says spring time like an Italian Lemon Olive Oil Cake. When we think of cakes, we usually think of butter, however, olive oil provides moisture and richness without the overpowering flavor. Olive oil cake is welcoming to fruits and, citrus and added flavors. It’s truly a wonderful cake to introduce your family and friends to in the spring time.
Olive Oil Cake Topping Ideas
This cake has a light flavor and tender texture. This makes it perfect to pair with any fruit. You can top the cake with fresh fruit or you can make a fruit syrup topping.
- homemade whipped cream
- powdered sugar
- nut shavings
Olive Oil Cake Recipe
The Best Italian Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar total
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice“
- 1 cup all-purpose flour I use Bob's Red Mill
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease with the non-stick spray or butter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a wire whisk attachment, whip the egg yolks with ½ cup of the sugar until pale and thick.
- Combine the olive oil and lemon juice and with the mixer running on low, slowly add it to the yolk mixture. It may look slightly curdled. Add the flour and lemon zest and gently fold into the yolk-olive oil mixture with a spatula.
- Transfer mixture to a separate bowl and set aside. Clean the stand mixer bowl and whisk attachment.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the wire whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until foamy, then slowly add ¼ cup of the sugar and continue to beat to soft peaks. Gently fold into the olive oil mixture, just barely until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Spread into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the sides of the springform pan and cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream and fresh berries, or as desired.